After several weeks of searching, asking and planning, I’ve come up with my Maine (Bucket) List. Not exactly a bucket list, hence the parentheses, since I’m certainly not kicking the bucket anytime soon. But below I will list all the places I’ve decided that I need to go, things I need to see and do and, can’t forget, the food I need to eat and beer that needs to be drunk.
Simply put, adventures that need to be experienced.
This is not a resolution, despite the seemingly planned timing. But instead, just a fun way to better ensure that I take full advantage of the fact that I’m living in a wonderfully beautiful state for not too much longer. I am by no means confined to this list, and I’ll probably add to it along the way, but I definitely want to try to check off each one of the suckers on this list.
I’ll be posting fairly often throughout with photos, videos and words so I don’t fall back on my promise to finish, but I’ll need your help. Come with me to check off one or some of the items. Help me plan one of the trips. Or just harass me until I’ve finished them all. You pick, I don’t care.
Over the next 8 months, here’s the 65 adventures I’ll be having in no particular order. I’ll update this list and cross off items as soon as I finish them, so check back here and there to see what I’ve done.
MY MAINE (BUCKET) LIST
1. Acadia National Park 1/21/2013
2. Tumbledown – Part 2
3. Boothbay Harbor 3/23/2013
4. Sugarloaf Ski Area 2/12/2013
5. Sunday River Ski Area 3/09/2013
6. Baxter State Park 7/19/2013
7. Popham Beach 6/1/2013
8. Freeport/LL Bean 1/13/2013
9. Reid State Park – Part 2 7/7/2013
10. Camden Hills State Park 6/9/2013
11. Fort Knox 6/8/2013
12. Thorncrag Bird Sanctuary – Part 2 in the winter 2/10/2013
13. Moosehead Lake/Mt. Kineo State Park
14. Bradbury Mountain State Park – Part 2 in the winter 2/10/2013
15. Grafton Notch State Park, Old Speck, Screw Auger Falls and Moose Cave
16. West Quoddy Head – This is the Easternmost part of the US! 6/22/2013
17. Nubble Lighthouse in Cape Neddick, York 6/17/2013
18. Pemaquid Point for Lighthouse 3/23/2013
19. Sunday River Covered Bridge in Newry 3/09/2013
20. Drive along Rt. 1 from Kittery to Acadia (or somewhere in between) 5/26/13
29. Afternoon tea and popovers at the Jordan Pond House in Acadia National Park 7/13/2013
30. Lobster Roll at Red’s Eats in Wiscasset 5/19/2013
31. Whoopie pies at Isamax Whoopie Snack Shop in Freeport 1/13/2013
32. Hike Mount Katahdin and re-enact photo at summit 7/21/2013
33. Knife’s Edge Trail on Katahdin – weather has to be good for this to happen! 7/21/2013
34. Bar hopping in Portland 6/7/2013
35. Brewery tour hopping in Portland
36. Baxter Brewery in Lewiston 5/19/2013
37. Polar Bear Plunge – legit group plunge or not 4/28/2013
38. 2nd Meteor Shower – Lyrids in April, Aquarids in July, or Perseids in August
39. Snow Sledding 2/10/2013
40. Mountain biking 5/19/2013
41. Grab a pad and go Bouldering 7/13/2013
42. Photograph Sunrise from Cadillac Mountain at Acadia National Park 7/15/2013
43. Pick maine blueberries 7/14/2013
44. Explore the Androscoggin River 5/19/2013
45. Maine Red Claws game 1/12/2013
46. Portland Sea Dogs game 5/18/2013
47. Go Lobster Fishing
48. Drink Maine blueberry wine 7/21/2013
49. Maine Lobster Festival in Rockland 8/4/2013
50. Section hike a bit of the Appalachian trail in the 100 Mile Wilderness Area 7/21/2013
51. Drive the Golden Road for views of Katahdin and wildlife 7/19/2013
52. Run along the Eastern Prom like a local 5/12/2013
53. Portland Museum of Art 5/10/2013
54. Whale Watching Trip 6/17/2013
55. Art Walk in Lewiston 5/31/2013
56. Explore a tidal pool
57. Shop at Kittery Outlets 1/27/2013
58. Photo with Andre the Seal Sculpture in Rockport Harbor (You know you all want to) 6/8/2013
59. Watch the sunset over a body of water 6/29/2013
60. White water rafting in Kennebec River or Penobscot River 6/14/2013
61. Watch the 4th of July Fireworks somewhere fun 7/4/2013
62. Try Sea Kayaking 6/29/2013
63. Go Clamming
64. Casco Bay Ferry Island Hopping 6/28/13
And of course, no semi-inspirational blog post is complete without an inspirational quote. So let me leave you with this.
“Adventure is worthwhile in itself.” – Amelia Earhart
Whether I finish this list (I WILL!) or not, it’ll be well worth the time and energy spent. I’m excited to start this list and I hope that you, too, are excited to join along with me.
Thanks for following along and I’ll see you outside!!